Keep reading to explore more about Instagram video types and sizes.
IGTV (Instagram TV)
IGTV is Instagram’s format for in-feed video that is longer than one minute, stretching up to 60 minutes. Not like shorter, in-feed video posts, you can pre-record and upload IGTV from the camera roll.
Before publishing an IGTV video, creators have the option to add the video to a series and add a cover photo. Creators can post a preview video in 15 seconds to their feed (and the home feed), or choose not to. Either way, all IGTV videos appear in a dedicated tab on a user’s profile where they can be categorized by series.
IGTV videos are given more real estate and a dedicated section in the Explore tab. Videos autoplay wherever they are shown and queue up one after another. People who watch IGTV videos can interact in the usual ways, with likes, comments, saves, and shares.
Reels is Instagram’s latest video format. Inspired by TikTok, these 15-30 second clips may be created with Instagram’s camera or uploaded from the Photo Library.
Recording effects have timed text, AR filters, green screen mode, timer and speed controls, and access to an audio library.
Reels record in vertical portrait mode (9:16) and are displayed in users’ feeds, the Reels tab, and a dedicated profile tab.
Like feed videos, you can add captions, hashtags, and most recently, product tags in Reels. People can interact with Reels by liking, commenting, or sharing them in Stories and direct messages.
2. Instagram video specs
Here are the size and formats for each kind of Instagram video.
Instagram Stories specs
Stories take up the complete mobile screen and are tailored to the device. For that reason, exact specifications vary. These are the recommended specs:
- Length: Up to 15 seconds (longer videos can be clipped into a number of Stories)
- Recommended size: Upload the highest resolution video available that meets file size and ratio limits.
- Maximum video file size: 30MB
- Recommended file sort: .MP4 or .MOV format
- Ratios: 9:16 and 16:9 to 4:5
- Minimum width: 500 pixels
- Minimum aspect ratio: 400 x 500
- Maximum aspect ratio : 191 x 100/90 x 160
- H.264 compression really useful
- Square pixels, fixed frame rate, progressive scan, and stereo AAC audio compression at 128+ kbps
Tip: Keep about 14% (~250 pixels) of the top and bottom of the video free from important content. In this area, it might be obstructed by the profile photo or call to action.
Instagram feed video specs
- Length: 3 to 60 seconds
- Recommended size: Upload the best resolution video available that meets file size and ratio limits.
- Recommended file type: .MP4 or .MOV format
- Maximum file size 30MB
- Maximum frame rate 30fps
- Minimum width: 500 pixels.
- H.264 compression really useful
- Square pixels, fixed frame rate, progressive scan, and stereo AAC audio compression at 128kbps+
Instagram Live specs
You’ll be able to only record Instagram Live broadcasts from the camera app. Specifications are similar to Instagram Stories. Before going live, make sure that you have a reliable and fast Internet connection.
- Minimum length: 60 seconds
- Maximum length: 15 minutes when publishing via mobile and 60 minutes when posting from the web
- File type: MP4 file format (required)
- Vertical video aspect ratio: 9:16
- Horizontal video aspect ratio: 16:9
- Minimum resolution:720 pixels
- Minimum frame rate: 30 frames per second
- Maximum file size (for videos less than 10 minutes): 650MB
- Maximum file size (for up to 60 minutes videos): 3.6GB
Recommended cover picture size: 420px by 654px (1:1.55 ratio)