We’ll dive into some specific strategies you may try to make money on YouTube — and examples of successful manufacturers who’ve tried those same methods.
1. Set up an AdSense account.
To start earning money on YouTube, you may want to begin with an AdSense account. An AdSense account is the platform on which you may obtain payments from YouTube, so it is an essential step.
It is essential to note — you may monetize multiple YouTube channels with the identical AdSense account, so in case your model has multiple YouTube accounts and you’re hoping to set up monetization options on each one, you solely need one AdSense account.
As soon as you have carried out that, proceed to the subsequent steps.
2. Become a YouTube partner.
Together with an AdSense account, you now should be accepted into the YouTube Partner Program (YPP). There are a few requirements for joining YPP, including:
- You must live in a country or region where the YouTube Partner Program is available.
- Besides, you have to have more than 4,000 valid public watch hours within the last year.
- You should have more than 1,000 subscribers.
- You have to comply with all YouTube monetization policies.
- Additionally, you must have a linked AdSense account.
In case you meet all these requirements, you are eligible to join the YouTube Partner Program. This is how to sign up:
- Sign in to your YouTube account (and ensure this account has a linked AdSense account).
- Click on “YouTube Studio” within the top right (by clicking on your profile image).
- If you do not currently reach the requirements, you may choose “Notify me when I’m eligible” and you will obtain an email once you get 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 watch hours.
- In case you meet the requirements, click on “Start” on the “Review Partner Program terms” card.
- Once you have signed the term, you may see a green “Done” sign on the card.
When you accomplish these steps, you may be placed in a queue to be reviewed. You may check your application status here at any time. And when they accept it, you may proceed to the following step.
Note: In case you’re accepted into the YPP, take a look at a FAQ from creators who’ve just joined the program.
In the event you’ve been rejected, check out these FAQs for tips on how to strengthen your application. You may re-apply 30 days after rejection.
3. Identify viewer personas.
To create a strong, effective monetization technique to make money on YouTube, you may have to know who your target audience is — and, just as importantly, who your buyer personas are.
Whereas your purchaser persona will undoubtedly look similar to the identical purchaser persona you utilize for different marketing materials, there are slight variations you would possibly have to make for the YouTube version of your purchaser persona.
As Nelson Chacon, HubSpot’s Principal Content Strategist for YouTube told me: “For example, you might need two purchaser personas: Margaret and Sam. However, on YouTube, you have a better alternative of reaching Sam than Margaret.”
Chacon continues: “Sam is excited about personal growth and probably has some present tasks from Margaret on discovering methods to reduce costs or find efficiencies for their business. The Sam we see outside of YouTube can have certain things he likes. Nonetheless, inside of YouTube, he probably has other interests, so for this, you may look into making a YouTube Sam 2.0 persona.”
Ultimately, YouTube is a search engine, so you may need to treat the platform equally to the way you’d deal with any other search engine. This means, by identifying your purchaser persona, you may start to focus on keywords that appeal most to that persona — and make sure you’re avoiding content that attracts “negative” personas, or individuals you do not imagine could be a great match to your model.